Saturday

Wouldn't It Be Nice

Tajuk karangan saya hari ini ialah "Rumah Impian Saya".

Wouldn't it be nice if all of my siblings and I were mega mega rich and we'd pool some of our money and buy an acre or two of land. Then all of us would each build a house for our families on the perimeters of the land, leaving a large expanse of field in the middle for our children to run around in. Like the Backyardigans. Or Big Love. There'd be no fence between our houses, everyone shares one great big backyard.

We'd all live together in this made-up mini community of ours. We'd carpool our kids to school and collectively help them with their homework. We'd take turns cooking dinner for everybody, or maybe our maids will, so we'd only have to cook at least once a week. Then we'd all congregate in one house and pray Maghrib together. If it's a nice night we'd pray outside on the patio or deck, under the stars. During the day the deck will be used for plays, concert rehearsals and barbecues. On Sundays we will have a pot-luck brunch.

My kids will always have their cousins to play with. They'll fight and annoy each other but they'll also laugh and protect one another. I'll never have to worry about them running into the street or a stranger coming through the gate to kidnap them as they will be ensconced by our houses. The first house I remember we lived in was the house on Jalan Tok Sera in Kuantan. It had a big lawn on its side and I remember playing Pukul Berapa Datuk Harimau with my brother, my sisters and my cousins from Gombak and Kuching. I want that for my kids. I want a great big lawn for Aliff and Armin to run around. I want them to play all the games I played and didn't play. And then I want them to come into the house, have a tall glass of something cold and piping hot karipaps, and then run outside again.

If my husband and I want to go out on a date, I can always send my kids next door. We don't even have to go out. Just kick my kids out to their cousins' house and we'll have the entire house to ourselves for a couple of hours. Convenient, no?

Can you imagine the kenduris we can have, with all five houses so close to each other? One house can be the cooking station, another for the guests to tumpang sembahyang, another to corall all the little kids. A great big lawn in the middle and a huge wooden deck for eating, mingling, maybe even dancing.

My siblings and I will watch our kids grow. We will always be within shouting distance, and there will never be a missed birthday, an unsupported school performance, a forgotten sports meet. No child will be alone unless it's what he wants. No child will feel left out, neglected or abandoned. I will mother all their kids and everyone else will mother my kids. The children will grow up protected, safe, happy in a big big family.

I've read enough books to know man-made Utopias never ever work out. But still, wouldn't it be nice?

8 people wrote:

elisataufik said...

yeah it would! Sorta have a small family-only gated community, eh? Maybe buat track for main basikal as well.
It's not a far fetched idea actually. We're currently looking for a land in Sg. Buloh or Janda Baik.
Can buy a bigger one if we pool our money together.
but when are you coming back to malaysia lah?

mokciknab said...

Didi,
Strangely enough, I have the same fantasy too! I even have the layout plans for each house in my head (Dolly's would be all white and Victorian, Liza would be Modern-Tropical with traditional accents, mine would be a huge one story Javanese with a pendopo in front, and Mama would have her cute cottage at the end of the big lawn, because her house would be the only one with a pool. Oh and there'll be a huge covered pendopo in the middle of the lawn sebab nanti boleh buat kenduri and raya gatherings kat situ. Err, I wouldn't know what your house would look like. The last time you showed me a plan that you liked it was an A-frame. Maybe something Arts&Crafts or Shaker? Franl Lloyd Wright kinda?

elisataufik said...

I told abang taufik about this and he loves the idea!!
So baliklah cepat-cepat.
Kitorang dah plan nak beli tanah dah ni.

Nina Zan said...

ours would have it's own eco-system with overgrown lalang complete its own resident reticulated python...

hahaha...

Anonymous said...

Waah..great minds think alike. Hee.

Yes, something Craftsman with white moldings and a screened in porch.

What is a "pendopo"?

I don't know when we're coming back. If Mcain is president, maybe a lot sooner. Or perhaps after baby #3. It's all up in the air.

Iron Butterfly said...

Pahamin Rajab built 5 (i think) houses for himself and his kids (including Azhar Sulaiman the son in law) at Sungai Penchala. They have a pool in the middle. The houses face each other. Heh.

Drop by at my blog and see the right panel. I've linked your family's url. Hehe..

Cheers.

elisataufik said...

I think 'pendopo' is indonesian for the trengganu "gere" (gurr-rare).
except with a roof.
Oh so then it's more like a wakaf, tempat tunggu bas.

sorry. we saudi housewives often have conversations with ourselves.

Sg. Penchala I cannot afford lah.. 1mil per quarter acre.. :P

Royalshoppingarcade said...

a few years ago i saw a new housing developer advertising 4 semi-ds that were connected to each other by their kitchens.there was a large 4x4 area that connects all four at their backyards.I remembered telling my husband that if a man were to marry 4 wives, that type of house would be perfect!just keluar ikut pintu dapur dah boleh masuk rumah wife no 2, 3, and 4.
or, utk adik beradik okla kot.
I don't think your fantasy home would be suitable for my family yg jumpa kejap2 ok la..jumpa lama2..gaduh!sad but true..