Ex Libris
Two months ago I got my library card and I've been on a reading frenzy ever since. Borrowing books from the library is great because if I don't like what I read I can return it guilt-free and the awful book won't take up precious space in my bookshelves. I can try out as many books as I want without spending a dime. The system set up by the King County Library is also great in that I don't even have to physically be in a library to borrow their books. I just browse through their online catalogue, place a hold on a book I want and the books are delivered to a branch of my choice.
Here are brief reviews of the books I read in the past two months.
I started out with The Kalahari Typing School for Men and The Full Cupboard of Life numbers four and five in Alexander McCall Smith's No.1 Ladies Detective Agency series. I had already read books one through three. As far as detective stories go, the cases are a bit meh. The only thing interesting about it is the depiction of life in Botswana. The protagonist is a bit on the bigger side and I quickly got bored with the numerous times we have to be reminded on why it's much better to be a bit fat and how stupid and vain beautiful thin girls are, how they're only looking to score husbands and know nothing about the African traditions of respecting elders. I get it. Borrow this series if you can, it's not really worth the money.
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon is about an autistic boy trying to solve the gruesome murder of his neighbor's dog. It's written in diary form and I just couldn't help thinking about Adrian Mole and how sometimes the autistic boy is so much smarter than him. I loved it and made me miss British books and their quirky sense of humor (and the extra 'u's!).
Next up were a couple of Pratchetts: Wintersmith, a Tiffany Aching book, and Making Money, a Moist Von Lipwig book. Wintersmith was surprisingly good and Making Money was surprisingly not. It had its moments, but it's not as funny as Going Postal. What made Going Postal funny was all the secondary characters and I think this is what Making Money lacked. Wintersmith was brilliant, the non-human Winter falls in love with Tiffany and leaves Tiffany-shaped snowflakes on everybody's windows along with unseasonable and sheep-killing snow storms. Tiffany gets advice from Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg on how to correctly spurn the advances of a weather-god.
Did you know that Terry Pratchett has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's? I was so sad when I read that. He says he probably has a few more books in him before completely losing his ability to write. Here's hoping the new drug they have can prolong that time.
5 people wrote:
You have read Wintersmith? ala...I wanted to but couldn't find time to go and hunt for it in t he bookstore. And if I did, they don't carry it. Meh.
I got Making Money though. It is not as funny as Going Postal. But then, making fun of banks is extremely hard. It's the layers of drollness that does it. Moist not running away from something is just err..damp. Pratchett should get back to Vimes. Heh.
Oh! I heard he has Alzheimer's! He was giving a talk on that subject or something.
We will all miss DIscworld then.
When I heard Terry Pratchett had been diagnosed with Altzheimer's I thought about you.
I loved Curious Incident (and it resonates even more since m daughter was diagnosed) - plus I'm a nerd so I liked trying to solve the maths problem at the end.
Completely right about the Ladies Detective Agency books - the best parts are the descriptions about life in Botswana - could do without the moralizing though!
I want more Vimes stories too. He's got a new book out called "Nation", it's supposed to be a Discworld installment but it's a completely new character and place, not in Ankh Morpork.
Nads dear. I hope you're getting a lot of support for your daughter. I know there'd be a lot resources you could turn to if you were in the States, what's it like in Malaysia? The comment post is an inadequate place to express how I feel for your daughter and your family. I can only try to telepathically send you lots of strength and patience.
Thanks :) The situation's getting 'better' but only because I (we) can afford it and the place I work is pretty good about giving support - nowhere near as good as the States though.
Otherwise...Will pass on your strength and patience to Nadyn J. who really is a trooper and works so hard :)
Sorry for hijacking your comments box and derailing the discussion!
Hey Firhad, I have Wintersmith! I didn't know you haven't read it yet. The book's really meant for children, it's a bit of a Pratchett-snack and won't satisfy if you're looking for the complicated Vimes and Vertinari dance.
Adam read The Curious Incident when he was ten, and regaled us with all the mathematical curiosities in the book for weeks!
Be patient with unsolicited motherly advice. They come from people who traveled really, really far to be with you. (And that, was some more unsolicited advice. It's a curse for being the youngest)
Post a Comment