You're Triflin'
A friend decided to have an Eid Dessert Party yesterday. Which is really what a typical Malaysian Hari Raya is like, right? People gathering together for an overload of sugar and fat.
Except this time everyone has to bring a dessert, so I made my sister's trifle. I made it three Eids in a row when I was in Ann Arbor, so I figured why change a good thing, eh? Easy peasy.
Cream cheese mixed with whipped cream, angel food cake, fresh strawberries and kiwi, canned peaches, strawberry preserves and some almond flakes for a crunchy surprise. Arrange in layers: cake, preserves/jam, fruit, cream, almonds. Repeat until you reach the top of the bowl. Chill overnight, but not really necessary. (You'd have to if using custard) My sister recommends soaking the cake in orange juice first, but I just use the syrup from the canned peaches.

Had extra cream and fruits, so I made individual cups. Which is also another nice way to present your trife, if you have those tall champagne glasses.
There were only seven in the party, so plenty of leftovers. The host made baklava, fresh fruits dipped in chocolate fondue and this sweet bihun-like dessert I forgot the name of. Guests brought khufi, kheer and a Chilean dessert I also forgot the name of. Oh and a "blob of jelly" (owner's own words). The baklava was so goooood.
We played Taboo afterwards, thought I'd be bad at it, but not really. Fun jugak. You try describing 'apartheid' without saying South Africa and Mandela. Certainly made for a different kind of Eid celebration.
So now my fridge is filled with three-quarters of a trifle, leftover birthday cake and two pieces of baklava I just had to bring home. Siapa nak makan semua ni? My front door neighbor is perpetually living with her boyfriend in some other apartment, and my blind upstairs neighbor is...not very nice. It's during these times you wish you still have hungry living-in-the-dorms freshmen friends to polish off your food for you.
Baaalik kampuungg!! Oh ho ho, baaalik kampuuunngg!!
0 people wrote:
Post a Comment