Wednesday

Henna Party!

Last week I was invited to a henna party. It seemed like a girly thing to do and I thought, "It wouldn't hurt to do some girly things once in a while," so what the heck.

It was quite fun, actually. We would admire each other's henna designs, talk about family and delivering babies, eat and eat. The hostess was this very friendly makcik from Kedah and she would explain all the kuihs she made to her American neighbors. She made me take home some emping beras, a snack she said her mother would make everyday and keep big jars of them in the house. I've never had them before but found it to be really good. It's got some kind of salty chips, like ikan bilis or something in it and you eat it on its own. Sedap.

One of the ladies got her belly henna-ed. It turned out quite pretty, sort of like a Native American dreamcatcher. I took a picture but I don't think she'd like total strangers to see her perut. I contemplated getting my belly done too, but the henna lady had to leave by the time I convinced myself it was a good idea. The other henna lady who stayed on didn't do bellies. She's strictly a hands and arms woman.

The last time I had inai on my fingers I was ten, I think. It was in Merang and it was somebody's wedding or something. I rememeber my inai tak jadi because I kept picking at them when I was trying to go to sleep. It wasn't a smooth paste like this recent one, I remember it was chunky and had bits of leaves sticking out.

I had flowers and hearts done on my left hand, up until the underside of my elbow. I didn't pick the design, I just let her do what ever she thought would be pretty (I'm not really that into hearts, actually). Should have brought a picture of PJ's stickman and have that henna-ed on my arm! Maybe the next henna party.

The designs didn't last very long. The flowers and hearts became unrecognizable about three days later. When the novelty and the henna wears off, all you're left with is what looks like dirty fingers and palm. Still, it was fun to be sitting in a circle watching the henna lady work, giggling like schoolgirls.



Next party: The Superbowl!

0 people wrote: