Monday

Pratchett Post

-with apologies to people who have never read Pratchett, this post contains plenty of references to Discworld characters. Pick one up. You might like what you find-

I don't usually buy hardcover books. I'd rather wait for the paperbacks. Hardcover books are big and bulky and take too much space on your shelf. The dustjacket is always annoying and the huge font make me feel like a four-year old. And they're expensive. For a fraction of the price, I'd rather wait a coupla months. If I can find it second-hand, even better. I LOVE books and I always say money spent on books or food is never wasted, but if you can get the same book for 8 bucks, why spend 24 on the bigger, bulkier and heavier version?

But I bought this anyway. Can't help myself.

When I attended Pratchett's book-signing in Ann Arbor, he told everyone present that he was trying to figure out how to include the concept of virus and spam in the clacks system. I guess he hasn't figured it out yet because I didn't really see it in this book (although hacking was mentioned). Perhaps in the next Post Office book.

'Going Postal' is funny, as always. Lord Vetinari gives a con-man, Moist Von Lipwig (Moist! I swear, the man just opens up a dictionary and names his characters from the first word he sees), a second chance at redemption by handing him a job as Postmaster. Vetinari thinks a thief, a fraud, a liar and perverted genius is perfect for a government position. Hee. Although, in our government's case, I'd debate the genius part. Perverts, maybe, genius, no.

The Post Office has been defunct for twenty years or so, forgotten and replaced by the clacks. Vetinari wants Moist to build it back up. He gets twenty dollars a week and a small apartment within the Post Office building. Ultimately, it's a competition between regular snail mail and the clacks, with bits about stamp collecting thrown in.

Moist reminds me of a young Commander Vimes: well-intentioned, good set of principles but won't shy away from bending the rules once in a while. He has his sidekicks: a crusty old man who doesn't believe in doctors (Cohen the Barbarian reincarnated), an eager young orphan with an obsession with pins (yes, pins, the kind tailors use. Enthusiasts are called 'pinheads'), a golem bodyguard and a Lauren Bacall-like love interest. Captain Carrot and Angua from the Watch along with Sacharissa and Otto the Vampire from the Times make cameo appearances.

I loved it. But then, I love all Pratchett books. One part of this book I read through tear-filled eyes because I was laughing so hard.

Drat. Now I gotta wait another year or so for the next Discworld installment. Oh well. I'll just read this one again. And again.

0 people wrote: