At the Park
At a park where I live, they have a special airfield for radio transmitted model aircrafts. If you're not a 'pilot' or an assistant, you can just sit on the bleachers they provide and watch the planes take off and circle the airfield. It's kinda cool and I can't help but think how my brother-in-law would enjoy this and how he would probably know all the names of the model airplanes.
In the 'pilots' area, there are tables and benches for you to work on your model aircrafts. Fathers and sons crouch over toolboxes, wiping wings, fixing the engine, making adjustments. I guess you would call it a hobby. And it's certainly a bonding experience, the son would have control of the remote transmitter, the father would give directions on where the plane should go. It's rare to see someone attempt the loops, or some other kind of stunt, most of the time they just circle around endlessly, but I suppose for fathers and sons who love that sort of thing, it gives them great satisfaction. A marriage of mechanics and ballet.
Why is it that fathers in Malaysia don't take the time to share a hobby with their sons? I suppose some fathers fish with their sons, do they do anything else? What about guys who don't like to fish? What do they do with their kids? Are the fathers in Malaysia more than just the imposing figure kids see at the dinner table? Do they take the time to teach kids stuff they love; motorcycles or soccer or (eventhough it's frikkin boring) stamp collecting? Hey, at least its quality time they're sharing, the kid gets to see another side of their dad, they get to share a similar passion, they learn something new from the one person in the world who has every right to teach them. Sure beats taking your kid to the mall every Sunday.
I don't usually go to the park in Malaysia. Those places now have the wrongful stigma of being a place to tenet, horny teens go there to make-out, sometimes not even horny teens, just gatal old people. So I don't know if Malaysian families go to the park together and spend some time playing frisbee or ride bicycles, or just walk along the path. I see it on TV on those Kementerian Kesihatan PSAs (Cegah Kencing Manis!) but they always seem so fake and too staged to me.
Today's entry has no point. I'm just writing because I'm up early for my dentist appointment. I'm going back to sleep now.
0 people wrote:
Post a Comment